Calw

From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 07:31, 26 January 2017 by Knorrepoes (Talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "Literature" to "Literature")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Germany.jpg
Heraldry of the World (Wappen der Welt)
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
Germany.jpg

CALW

State : Baden-Württemberg
District (Kreis) : Calw
Additions : 1975 Altburg, Hirsau, Stammheim (1972 Holzbronn)

Wappen von Calw

Official blazon

In Gold auf blauem Dreiberg ein stehender blaubezungter, blau gekrönter roter Löwe.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted July 20, 1976 for the last time, but the arms have been in use since 1277.

Calw was granted city rights around 1250 and the earliest seal dates from the same time. It shows the lion of the arms of the Counts of Calw, who ruled the city from 1037 until 1308, when it became a possession of the Counts of Tübingen. In 1345 the city became part of Württemberg. The arms have thus basically never changed, except that the small mountains sometimes has three, sometimes four tops. The colours are known since 1535.

Wappen von Calw

Seal of Calw from 1277-1293
Wappen von Calw

The arms as shown in the Frommann roll of arms, 1737
Seal of Calw

Seal from around 1900
Wappen von Calw

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925


Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1964-1971; Jäger, 1986


Help maintaining Heraldry of the World !

Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.