Höchstadt an der Aisch
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
HÖCHSTADT AN DER AISCH
State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Erlangen-Höchstadt (until 1973 Höchstadt an der Aisch)
Additions : 1972 Biengarten, Etzelskirchen, Greuth, Zentbechhofen; 1974 Schirnsdorf (partly); 1978 Boxbrunn (partly), Schwarzenbach, Sterpersdorf
In Silber eine rote Zinnenmauer, belegt mit einem gelehnten silbernen Schild, darin eine rote Fischangel; über der Mauer ein zinnengekrönter roter Rundturm mit goldener Rundbogennische, darin eine mit einer silbernen Schrägleiste überdeckter, rot bewehrter schwarzer Löwe.
Höchstadt belonged to the State of Bamberg, and thus appears on the oldest known seal (known since 1349) only the lion of Bamberg.
In the late 14th century a new seal was used by the city, which showed a city wall, with a small shield with the arms of Bamberg. Until 1818 the arms and seals all showed the same composition.
In 1818 the arms were changed, the lion was removed and replaced by a silver bend on a blue field. This change was due to the fact that the State of Bamberg was incorporated into Bayern and all reference to Bamberg was removed.
On February 3, 1836 the lion was restored but removed from a shield and placed directly in a window of the tower, and a small shield was added. This shield shows the arms of Lamprecht van Brunn Bishop of Bamberg, who probably granted the city rights.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Deutsches Wappenmuseum
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.