|Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of Australia
State : New South Wales
The arms were granted on on January 29, 1947.
The origin of the naming of Lismore having been established, the City Council petitioned the Right Hon. The Lord Lyon, King of Arms of Edinburgh, Scotland, to grant a Coat of Arms based on Scottish heraldry and with appropriate ancient symbols.
The design of the Coat of Arms is that of a three compartmental shield. The first section shows an ancient galley of Lorne; the second, an Episcopal mitre in the midst of water, indicating the Island of Lismore, seat of the historic episcopal see, and the third compartment relates to the meaning of the word "Lismore", "The Great Garden". The latter compartment shows white roses surrounding a bull's head, this being symbolical of the industry around Lismore.
The Latin motto "Qui Non Proficit Deficit" (He who does not progress retrogresses) is inscribed on the Coat of Arms in Gaelic as follows:-"Am baile nach teid air agaidh, theid e air ais"