|Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of Croatia
County : Split and Dalmatia County
The arms were officially adopted on April 23, 1991.
The arms show in a rectangular shield the part of the northern walls of the Diocletian's palace, as it was in the middle ages, and in the middle above the walls the belfry of the Cathedral. In the upper corners are two shields, the historical coat of arms of Croatia and a shield picturing the city patron St. Dujam. The coat of arms is bordered with the Gothic cheques.
The oldest confirmation that Spilt used the rectangular coat of arms are dated to the early 14th century. Stone-cuttings are preserved from the 14th and 15th century showing the same coat of arms with the shields around the belfry. The shields showed the arms of the rulers to which Split was paying alliance at the time. Later the arms of the city are also used without these shields, and at different times in different artistically rendition.
In the 19th and 20th century the coat of arms was sometimes shaped as classical heraldic shield, and as a rule without the shields around the belfry (see Hag image below).
After the World War II the arms were not used until 1969 when a new coat of arms design was adopted, now with socialist emblems. In 1991 these were replaced by the current shields.
The arms as shown around 1900 by Ströhl
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1932
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms as used around 1980
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.