|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Niedersachsen
District : Region Hannover (until 2001 Urban District (Kreisfreie Stadt/Stadtkreis))
Additions : 1891 Hainholz, Herrenhausen, List, Vahrenwald; 1907 Bothfeld, Döhren, Groß-Buchholz, Kirchrode, Klein-Buchholz, Lahe, Stöcken, Wülfel; 1920 Linden (1909 Badenstedt, Bornum, Davenstedt, Limmer; 1913 Ricklingen); 1974 Ahlem, Anderten, Bemerode, Misburg, Vinnhorst, Wettbergen, Wülferode
Hannover became a city around 1170 and was in the 14th century an important member of the Hanseatic League. From 1636 it was the capital of the Dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg, who later became Kings of Hannover and at the same time Kings of England.
The lion is the lion of Brunswick and taken from the Welfen family. It appears on the oldest known seals, dating from the early 13th century. The oldest real arms of the city showed only the trefoil. It is known from coins from 1430. It does not appear on the seals of the city until 1534. In 1565 the arms (still only the trefoil) had two golden lions as supporters and a helmet with crest on top.
In the 19th century the city used large arms, with mantling, helmet and crest, see below.
Another large image from a heraldic calendar :
Seals of Hannover from around 1900-1930:
The arms as used on a British cigarette card from 1906
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms on a modern postcard
Literature : Stadler,1964-1971, 8 volume; Ahrens, 1891