|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officially granted on December 20, 1984.
The chevron is taken from the arms of the Counts of Hanau-Lichtenberg, who ruled the area for a long period of time until 1793. The crosier is taken as a symbol for the Stürzelbronn Abbey, which had many possessions in the village. The holly is a canting element, the name is derived from Hulis, which resembled the medieval German word for holly (now it is Stechpalme, but in Dutch still hulst).
Literature : Debus, 1988