|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In Rot ein springender, golden bewehrter, silberner Hirsch, dem vorne ein Schildchen mit den bayerischen Rauten aufgelegt ist.
Hirschau received city rights around 1300 from the Kings of Bohemia. In 1373 the city was acquired by the Wittelsbach family, Dukes of Bayern. The oldest seal is known from 1467 and already shows a canting deer (Hirsch) with the small shield of the Wittelsbach family. The arms basically never changed since, except that sometimes small pine trees were added around the deer. These were also canting (Au or forest). The historical arms were restored at the beginning of the 20th century.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Deutsches Wappenmuseum