|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1948 and show a symbol for the former monastery in the village.
The monastery was founded in 1232 by Cistercian monks, after a grant from the Counts of Oldenburg. The monastery was very influential and several Counts of Oldenburg were buried in the church of the monastery. In 1533 the monks were forced to leave and the building gradually turned into ruins. The ruins are at the moment a protected monument.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.