Oberschlesien

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wappen der Welt
Germany.jpg
German heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Germany
Deutsche Wappen
Germany-flag.jpg

  • Total pages in the German section : 18,576

OBERSCHLESIEN

Province of the Free State of Preussen, created in 1919 and existed until 1945, when the area became part of Poland.

Arms of Oberschlesien

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

Historically the area was a separate Duchy, which formed part of the main Duchy of Schlesien, which was part of Poland.

The golden eagle was first used by Duke Mesko (died 1211) and has been used as the arms for the area since, even though the Duchy itself did no longer exist. The Prussian province was created in 1921 and combined the historical eagle (arms see here) with symbols of mining and agriculture. The arms were officially granted on July 1, 1926.

The eagle is now used by the Polish Region Śląsk.


Literature : Hupp, O: 1920s.