|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Niedersachsen
Urban district (Kreisfreie Stadt) : Oldenburg
Additions : 1922 Osternburg; 1924 Eversten; 1933 Ohmstede
In Gold eine rote Zinnenmauer bekrönt von drei goldbeknauften blau bedachten Spitztürmen, der mittlere breiter und höher; im blau umrandeten schwarzen Tor ein gelehnter goldener Schild mit zwei roten Balken.
The arms were officially adopted in 1927.
Oldenburg was the seat of the counts of the same name, and received city rights in the 13th century. The oldest seal dates from the 13th century and is known since 1307. The seal shows only a castle. In the late 14th century, the patron saint, St. Lawrence is shown in the gate, with the arms of the counts of Oldenburg on each side. From the 16th century onwards the patron saint was removed and only the, simplified, arms of the counts are seen in the gate.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Abdulla album, 1928
The arms on a 1960s matchox label
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.