|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The province of Westfalen was created in 1813 and existed until 1918 as a province of the Prussian Empire. The arms show the horse of Westfalen, which has been used as a symbol of the area for many centuries, by the Archbishops of Köln (Duchy of Westfalen) as well as the Kingdom of Westfalen the predecessor of the province. It is now part of the arms of the State of Nordrhein-Westfalen.
Literature : Schnath, G. : Das Sachsenross, 1958.