|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Hessen
Urban District (Kreisfreie Stadt) : Wiesbaden
Additions : 1926 Biebrich, Schierstein, Sonnenberg; 1928 Bierstadt, Dotzheim, Erbenheim, Frauenstein, Hessloch, Igstadt, Kloppenheim, Rambach; 1945 Amöneburg, Kastel, Kostheim; 1977 Auringen, Breckenheim, Delkenheim, Medenbach, Naurod, Nordenstadt
Boroughs (never separate municpalities) : Klarenthal
The arms of Wiebaden are identical to the former French Royal arms, and it has been stated that the arms were granted by Charlemagne, or that the arms were used as a symbol for Charlemagne, the alleged founder of the city. However, this is not likely, as in the time of Charlemagne there were no heraldic arms, and he never used fleur-de-lis (lilies) as his symbol.
Wiesbaden was an imperial city until 1250, when it became a possession of the Counts of Nassau. The oldest known seals date from the early 14th century and show the lion of Nassau. Around 1350 three roses were added, probably to distinguish the arms from similar arms in the County of Nassau. In the early 16th century the roses were replaced by the three lilies. Later that century the lion was removed, at first in images and on buildings. later also in the seals of the city.
In 1898 the city officially adopted the arms with the lion, based on the old seals, but these arms were already replaced in 1906 by the present, and more historically correct, arms.
Seals from around 1910
The arms in the Continentale Verlags-Anstalt album, +/- 1910
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms on a trade card, 1920s
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms on a matchbox label, 1960s
The arms as seen in the city near a water well (dating 1910, image 2013 by Daniel Füldner, Wiesbaden)
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.